Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Dancing In Chinos



























Khaki is one of my
favorite fabrics around, but for such a versatile color and wearable weight, stacks and stacks of chinos sit in the back of my closet. For some reason, I find that basing outfits around tan twill is so much more challenging than reaching for my denim. With sweaters, I feel like a school teacher. With ballet flats, I feel like a soccer mom. With t-shirts, I feel like a frat boy.

Runway saves the day! Mulberry did a brilliant take on chino, pairing khaki pieces with bursts of bright colors and elevating school uniform fare with luxury extras. Clicking through the collection, though, I was struck with how much it looked like Patrick Robinson for Gap. From the salmon pants to the big-buttoned pea jackets to the swinging circle skirts, all of the ensembles that walked down the runway could be re-created with a few swift clicks on Gap.com.

All is not lost, Mulberry. You've inspired me to give my jeans a break... maybe next week?

-tf

P.S. Because the word "chino" instantly makes me think of The OC, I figured this would be as good a time as any to include one of my favorite Cohen-isms.

Seth: Ryan. That's extremely minty of you. I didn't even know they had musicals in Chino. I didn't even know they had dancing. Or... laughter.
Ryan: That's because no one who lived there is as funny as you.
Seth: So, we finally agree I'm the funny one. Well look at that! Looks like we all learned some valuable lessons this Thanksgiving.