Thursday, December 18, 2008

Winter Break Wallflower




















I've been on winter break for a day, and I've already finished a book and a half. This is the first time I've read a book that hasn't been on a class syllabus in months. Months and months. And it feels so good.

While I don't expect to average a book a day for the next four weeks, spending more time reading printed words (books, newspapers, and that thick stack of magazines that have been drawing dust since the first round of finals hit in October) than gazing at a computer screen would be a break well spent, and just what I need.

I picked up The Perks of Being a Wallflower last night before going to bed, and I seriously never wanted to fall asleep because it was so good. Have you read it? I picked it again as soon as I woke up, and I couldn't set it down until I reached that bittersweet epilogue. It is a truly touching book, and I can't think of a better book to kick off my winter break endeavor with. Books play such an important role in the story and in the character's lives, and from This Side of Paradise to To Kill a Mockingbird, there are so many great recommendations tossed around throughout the story that my must-read list is rapidly growing.

If anyone wants to play Bill and recommend some page-turners, I'm all ears. Or eyes.

-tf