Thursday, February 5, 2009

Does Ralph Lauren Tivo Gossip Girl?














"The Polo label introduced two new suit silhouettes. One has a wide-notch lapel paired with trim flat-front trousers. The other has rolled shoulders. Here again are three-piece suits with striped dress shirts and wide club ties. 'The three-piece suit feels modern to a young guy,' said Lauren." - The New Gentleman, Women's Wear Daily.

By "young guy," Ralph Lauren clearly means Chuck Bass. I'm not just saying that because I adore Gossip Girl and believe it truly is the best show of our time. I'm also not just saying that because the CW still hasn't added Monday's episode, so I have been refreshing my screen with the same enthusiasm Blair refreshed her cell phone while waiting for Yale news.

Even Ralph's models, right down to their moneyed swaggers and "I own a multi-billion dollar company and I'm not even a high school graduate yet" expressions, exude Chuck Bass charisma.

This further proves my theory that no one is safe from the influence of Gossip Girl. Even those who have never watched the show have unknowingly fallen under the GG spell one way or another, perhaps through bow-bedecked headbands, or maybe through Blake Lively's Vogue cover, or, at the very least, through these dapper menswear trends that are turning boys into bona fide dandies.

Even Kanye West hasn't been able to escape Chuck Bass's grasp.