

After hiding your frozen footsies in boots all winter, those toes are just begging to be set free in an pretty pair of pastel flats. The Parsons grads and all-around adorable girls of Marais USA. From slingbacks to sandals, mary janes to peep toes, Haley and Catherine are ready to rescue you from springtime shoe blues. Here's a little Q & A about what the designers are wearing, reading, and wishing for.
Why/when/how did you start Marais USA?
Catherine: About 2 years ago, while Haley and I were still in school, we were wondering why we couldn't find ultra simple, chic, and affordable footwear. Every time we went shopping we could never find a well-designed flat for $50 that didn't have some kind of weird embellishment. That is how our collection started and here we are 2 years later!
Haley: Mainly we wanted to design shoes that we, ourselves, could wear everyday. At the time we were transitioning between school at Parsons and working night jobs in restaurants across NYC. We didn't understand why simple had to be expensive, and we still don't understand why that is the case.
Can you describe the ultimate Marais Girl?
C & H: The ultimate Marais Girl is ambitious, healthy, fun, confident, girly
What's a typical day like for you?
C: It's pathetic but I am a total slave to the Blackberry and I love love love the internet, but I hate checking and answering my emails. Everyday is different for me... sometimes I am on the computer all day and other days I am out visiting leather shops and picking out new colors for our next collection.
H: I'm a bit nocturnal, since the best time to communicate with our manufacture overseas is in the evening. So I wake up later than most, have a strong coffee from Mud or Balthazar, and get going on the Marais-matters-at-hand! I tend to take care of the "biz" side of our company. This can be anything from accounting to coordinating shipments to developing new styles.
What's your go-to outfit for a busy morning?
C: With the chilly weather, I wear fun vintage sweaters, a pair of cuffed blue jeans with black socks and the chestnut Mulberry maryjanes.
H: Since most mornings are action packed, I use this combo on an almost daily basis:
1. Denim
2. A blouse
3. Prince wedges in Tomato or Easter
4. Hair in braids pinned atop my head
What do you love to read (websites, books, magazines, etc.)?
C: I love reading blogs. I am addicted to Refinery 29, Knightcat, and Cup of Jo... I read a lot more, but there are just too many to name!
H: Scout Holiday and the Selby top my blog list... my guilty pleasure would be the Olsen Files, don't judge! When it comes to actual literary reading, my favorites are the Beautiful Fall, Waiting for Snow in Havana, biographies, and anything by Malcolm Gladwell. I love Teen Vogue, British Vogue, W, and most importantly The Week (AKA the best condensed news source EVER!).
Favorite places/ways to shop?
C: I have to admit that I don't do much shopping. When I do go I always make sure to hit up APC, Smith & Butler, Lyell, and Target.
H: I love wandering around downtown looking for places I've never been, but my top destination picks are Geminola, ABC Home, and Cobblestones. Hell's Kitchen and Chelsea flea markets are also musts, especially in the summer time... Catherine and I used to get up at the
crack of dawn to try to get there before the buyers from New York boutiques got all the best stuff! Note to flea market neophytes: most of the good stuff is gone by 8am.
What's on your wish list right now?
C: I have been meaning to buy more Wolford tights. They are really the best!
H: I'm looking for the ultimate black cocktail dress, and I am dying for some silk pants from Philip Lim.
Any advice for girls who love fashion?
C: Capitalize on your youth and take action!
H: If you want to start a company, read The Art of the Start (Guy Kawasaki).
A big thanks to the Marais girls! Invest in a new pair (or two!) of spring shoes at MaraisUSA.com, and don't miss Haley and Catherine's adorable blog.